The Sky is Everywhere | Jandy Nelson | Review

By Vera Carregueira - 16:16



Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable. 


After reading I'll Give You the Sun (Portuguese Edition) I felt so overwhelmed by the author's writing that I had to read her other book. The Sky is Everywhere is Jandy Nelson debut novel and with such great reviews I was expecting something that made me feel like I'll Give You the Sun. However that didn't happen, I really enjoyed this reading but the characters didn't captivate me, I kept thinking how silly Lennie was, I didn't feel any spark between her and Joe, didn't understand why Lennie and Toby acted that way, over and over because grief doesn't give them the right to be reckless or stupid, pain isn't an excuse for what they did and I sure didn't realize when at some point Lennie fell in love with Joe.

I can relate to the grief and the pain, I know exactly how it hurts when a sibling dies and we have to deal with all these feelings, how the world can be so cruel and how everything is going to be different from that day on, but there was something wrong with the way Lennie dealed with her problems, always running away from everyone. I always thought that at some point we could understand the mother, that there would be some big explanation but at the end nothing changed there.

This wasn't the great book I was expecting, I started this reading with huge standards and it wasn't what I thought, however it is beautifully written and I think Jandy Nelson improved a lot since this first book to the second. For those who haven't read this one and have read I'll Give You the Sun please lower your standards and you will enjoy The Sky is Everywhere, if you don't, it can be a little disappointing.


This e-book was read in my new e-reader Energy Pro+ see more about it  here


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comentários