REVIEW | Tear you apart | Megan Hart

By Adeselna Davies - 12:12

Tear you apart
Megan Hart
288 pages
Published by Harlequin MIRA
Publication date: August 2013
Awards: Book of the Year 2013 RT Book Reviews (2013)
Ebook provided by Netgalley for an honest review

Their passion will consume everything and everyone in its path.
I'm on a train.

I don't know which stop I got on at; I only know the train is going fast and the world outside becomes a blur. I should get off, but I don't. The universe is playing a cosmic joke on me. Here I had my life—a good life with everything a woman could want—and suddenly, there is something more I didn't know I could have. A chance for me to be satisfied and content and maybe even on occasion deliriously, amazingly, exuberantly fulfilled.

So this is where I am, on a train that's out of control, and I am not just a passenger. I'm the one shoveling the furnace full of coal to keep it going fast and faster.

If I could make myself believe it all happened by chance and I couldn't help it, that I've been swept away, that it's not my fault, that it's fate...would that be easier? The truth is, I didn't know I was looking for this until I found Will, but I must've been, all this time. And now it is not random, it is not fate, it is not being swept away.

This is my choice. And I don't know how to stop.

Or even if I want to.


Yeah this book got an award, that’s how great it is! 
It’s a shame that Hart probably has an exclusive contract with Harlequin and only book comes out per year here in Portugal! Readers are missing one of the best erotica writer ad we are in dire need of some new writers here, as erotica is all about BDSM these days and Hart provides a more mature look on erotica.

Tear you apart breaks the reader with a breath-taking story of love, betrayal, doubt and self-discovery. It is her darkest more realistic novel so far, yet it feels so good to read an erotica novel so real. 

Hart follows a certain formula, the same that she uses for her most recent books: a woman, in her forties, with children dealing with an emotional crisis. In tear you apart, Elizabeth’s marriage hit a breaking point and she finds herself attracted to an artist. Usually in a romance novel, Elizabeth would divorce her husband and live happily ever after. But this is a Hart’s novel and that means that everything will be real. 

While in “Flying”, Hart’s prose was more focused on the sexual self-discovery of her character, in Tear you apart the theme of marriage is central. Elizabeth’s marriage is a dysfunctional one and she seeks happiness outside of it. Her relationship with Will while not a serious one, it is the door that opens her eyes to what she has been missing. Her loneliness and her doubts are felt through Hart’s perfect writing. How can a woman married with two grown up girls be so alone? How can we judge her infidelity when her relationship with Will is as tumultuous and damaged as they are, when it gives her everything she is looking for in that moment?

Hart’s characters are broken and struggling to fix the mess that are their lives, but ultimately in the end we see them as part of human beings with faults and a good side as well. They don’t have to be perfect, they don’t have to be cardboard characters to make you love them. They are adorable the way they are. That is how we know we love these characters, Elizabeth cheats but she keeps fighting so her marriages does not end; Will is torn but in the end he makes as much mistakes as the other characters (for more info I would have to spoil you and I won’t) and Elizabeth’s husband while absent and neglect, represents the younger Elizabeth. Somehow she fell in love with him, for whatever reason she loved this man and had two baby girls with him and that has to mean something.

After reading so may of Hart’s novels, these dark trips to the erotica world with a human side to it are the best! You don’t have to write erotica where the man’s penis size is huge and make the girl orgasms in 3 seconds - that is easy. This story it goes beyond that, it is deep, it affects us because these characters could be one of us and that is amazing. Tear us apart is not the story of this woman named Elizabeth, it is the story of many women out there who are having right now the same doubts, the same problems that this character had. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comentários